How do I check if my company name already exists?
Usually, it’s as easy as conducting a few online searches.
- Check your home state’s records. Start your search by going to the website for the Secretary of State in the state where you will operate your business. …
- Check the records of other states. …
- Search trademark registrations. …
- Search Google and social media.
How do I find out if a business is active?
If you are searching for a business that is active in Alberta but that does not appear to be currently licensed, please contact the Service Alberta Contact Centre at 1-877-427-4088 for confirmation.
Can 2 businesses have the same name?
Can Two Companies Have the Same Name? Yes, however, certain requirements must be met in order for it to not constitutes trademark infringement and to determine which party is the rightful owner of the name.
Can I have the same name as another business?
If a business name is already trademarked, you are prohibited from using it even if the company operates in a different state to yours. Trademark issues can be complex. … Essentially, if your name is likely to cause consumer confusion because it’s the same or like another business name, then you cannot use that name.
How do I find company details?
Steps to Check Company Registration Status
- Step 1: Go to the MCA website.
- Step 2: Go to the ‘MCA Services’ tab. In the drop-down click on ‘View Company/LLP Master Data’.
- Step 3: Enter the companies CIN. Enter the captcha code. Click on ‘Submit’.
What happens if someone trademarks your business name?
If the other business has a trademark, the current owner can infringe upon this legal protection by using the same company name. … If there is a trademark in place for his or her company and someone else created a new entity with the same name, this owner can pursue a legal claim and contact a lawyer for a legal remedy.
How do I stop someone using my business name?
You cannot stop someone using a trade mark, which is the same or similar to yours, just by registering your name with Companies House. It is perfectly plausible that another business has already registered your chosen company (or business) name as a trade mark.